Friday

Italian Calzone



The Calzone I am baking is a recipe from my Mother-in-love. She is Sicilian and when she made this calzone for the first time. I scratched my head and said  “What the Hell”.  Where is the sauce Well there is NO sauce is Traditional Calzone. I am use to the half moon pie type with sauce. After a long Italian conversation about the origin of this in her family I got it. Why? you ask because it tasted so scrumptious. I always cook this at Easter because it reminds me so much of my Mother-in-love. 

Now it uses a boxed roll mix which I found almost impossible to find. I finally just took what I could find. I got a picture off the Internet so you know what to look for.


I do make bread and plan on trying my own dough one day when I grow some Italian Balls. Plus I was still in shock over the no sauce thing! xoxo But not to detour the original recipe here we go.

Ingredients

2 box's of Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix
1 pound of Italian sausage it is about 6 sausages. I got three sweet and three spicy
2 white onion's chopped
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
13 eggs
1/4 cup milk (any kind)
1 cup of fresh shredded Romano cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley

What you need a large skillet, a large bowl to combine the cooked ingredients, a large roasting pan or cooking vessel with at least 3" sides and a rolling pin. The roasting pan I used is pictured below.

This recipe takes time but a tradition on our Easter table. If I do not make it or my Mother-in-love than we call Easter off and Jesus stays in the cave!


Prepare all your ingredients for the stuffing of the calzone.
You actually are not stuffing it is like a big square pie!





Chop your onion and fry them in a large skillet until translucent. Chop your garlic and add it to the onion and simmer until they are cooked but not browned.





Take the casings off your sausage and add them to your onion/garlic and cook until your sausage is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set this mixture aside in a large bowl.




Now put all your eggs, milk, salt and pepper to taste into a large bowl whisk them together really good and put them into the same pan you already used.



No need to clean all the taste is going together anywho! Now cook up your egg mixture just like scrambled eggs.

Once your eggs are scrambled take the sausage mixture, egg mixture and parsley and pit it into a large bowl. DO NOT add the cheese until the mixture is cool!


  Here the ingredients are co-mingled.

I actually make this mixture the day before you bake the Calzone. This way you  can concentrate on the dough preparation. Just take the mixture of sausage, eggs and parsley and add all your cheeses and cover for the night. Make sure your mixture has cooled prior to adding the cheeses.

You need a  box of mix for the crust of the calzone and a box for the top.




You need time to let the bread rise once prior to rolling it out and assembling the dish. Follow the direction on the box.




Once your dough has done it's first rise then take one loaf and roll it out for the bottom of the roasting pan. Add your filling and roll out the second dough and apply it to the top.Seal all the way around and brush  the top with egg white. This gives it the glossy look plus the egg white can be used to help you seal any edges that are not cooperating.




 Bake in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes. Until the top is golden brown.

Beautiful sorry there is no picture on a nice plate they ate it right up !

No comments:

Post a Comment