Wednesday

Cauliflower Potato Soup


Cauliflower Potato Soup well any soup at this time of year is great. The vegetables combined with the natural thickener potato is so delicious.

My family is a soup family. We love to get a warm soup and some homemade bread during the colder month's.

Soup just makes you feel comfortable and safe.







Ingredients 

1 whole cauliflower
2 carrots
1 half yellow onion
2 tablespoons Italian parsley
2 quarts chicken broth
One stick of butter
5 tablespoon flour
2 cups of milk
1 cup half and half
Pepper to taste
4 medium potatoes



 

In a large soup pot melt half your stick of butter.

 






 
Add the onion cook until it starts to turn brown




Add the carrots cook an additional couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Turn the burner down to low cover it and let it simmer for say 10 minutes or so.

After it has simmered pour in chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.

Make sure you skim all the stuff off the sides of the pot waste nothing





I let all this simmer for about a half hour before I go to the next step. Keep an eye on the soup and stir when needed.

In a medium saucepan melt the other half cube of butter




Mix the flour and milk then whisk to combine in a separate bowl






Add flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter whisking constantly




Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half-and-half





Add mixture to the simmering soup







Add the potatoes. Allow the soup to  simmer for 1 hour or until you potatoes are soft not mushy. Stir every 10 to 15 minutes.


After the hour your soup should be ready to eat!




Notes to self

I use Italian Parsley because it just has a better not so tart taste like regular parsley
I use a food processor to chop the carrot and half of the cauliflower See the picture
I do not salt my food when cooking I think it should be left to the eater.



I just love each process of cooking.  I do not jump from step to step. I stop long enough to think does this need a little extra time to get its flavors together on there own prior to adding the rest of the stuff this holds true for most things I cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment