Wednesday

Homemade Pop-Tarts

Homemade Pop-tarts

Being at my mama's right now is making me think outside my box. She has a mobile home and a small kitchen so cooking is well unique to say the least. I will be staying here during the week until she and my sister are done with their treatment.






They live 6 doors down from one another and I adore being with both so up and down the street I go with baking or cooking at Mama's and running samples down to Sister Casey to test and approve. Here is a project my Mama and I did we did not have the original recipe.




The story goes when I was in Oakland my daughter took me to a great little breakfast place in Oakland called Kitchen 388 the link is not a website but Their FB page if you are up in the area or just passing through go there.

So they make their own pop-tart's thus the idea to duplicate them. Now they use Nutella and I never tasted Nutella. I thought euuu that is about as appealing as spam sandwich...  but  ... I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious they were.   I froze one brought it home to Pa that is the pretty one you see at the start of the post. Thank you Kitchen 388 and here we go.

The main difference is mine were much thicker so with your puff pastry you need to roll it out as thin as you prefer. I like to just slightly roll it because I like the larger pop-tarts as people will eat theirs and not need another. Right!


Ingredients

1 box of puff pastry
1 jar of Nutella - Or filling of your choice
Powdered sugar
Flour for rolling
Cookie Sheet

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To defrost your puff pastry use the package directions I let mine sit in the frig overnight. One sheet for three pop-tarts two sheets for six.

Lightly flour your surface that the puff is to be rolled out on. Lay your puff pastry on the floured counter one sheet at a time. I cut the sheet into three equal square (see pictures)



I well actually then Mama put about one tablespoon of Nutella on each of the three  squares. Spread it on the square about an 1/8" you do not need much. I notice the last batch I thought I had not used enough then the next batch to much. With all cooking it is a go figure this is an experiment.







But a good thing is less is better to start. Now you have three squares with their Nutella on them take the plain three squares and place them on top of the Nutella ones.

Now take a fork and crimp the edges about 1/4" in all the way around.




Place these three on the cookie sheet and move on to the next three. Once you have them all on the cookie sheet then pop them into the oven for no more than 15 minutes at 350'.




Keep an eye on them they should look brown on the top and have grown puffy and yummy.





I warmed up some nutella and decorated the tops.

Just take any sandwich baggie and cut a oh so little end corner and wa-la you have a pipe-in bag.








Now enjoy and if you are in Oakland go to Kitchen 388 and try theirs.

Yummy and thank them for this recipe....

No comments:

Post a Comment