Wednesday

Old School Popover's

My Grandmother's Popover's. So first let me apologize for the long pause in recipes. I have been taking care of Mama and now she is living here at my home and all is good. As a matter of fact now all is delicious. I am going to crank out some of Mama's favorite recipes. The first one she could remember is her Mother (Twila's) Popover's .




She says they were yummy and she use to just make them plain. So I asked what Mama would like to add to ours. She said some basil and cheese. Now the easiest cheese I thought without adding any more texture would be the Parmesan cheese in the jar. I usually use fresh shredded but what the heck I will go out of my comfort zone.

Twila's Popover's

You need 6 ramekins but we used a large six cup muffin pan.

2 beaten egg's
1 cup of whole milk
1 tablespoon of cooking oil (not olive)
1 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt (not kosher)
* We added 1/4 cup chopped dried basil and a half cup of Parmesan cheese


If your muffin pan is non stick I suppose you do not have to coat it but I did coat each cup with some shortening. I was glad I did this because after we baked them they stuck a tiny bit. Put the muffin pan on a baking sheet and set it aside while you get your batter ready.





In a mixing bowl beat your egg's.

Now add the milk and cooking oil.
Add your flour and salt.

 * Now add the extra ingredient's if you choose.




You can now beat everything together with your whisk until smooth.




Fill the muffins tins half way full.







Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or till the popovers are firm.




Immediately after your remove them from the oven prick them with a fork to let the steam come out. Hey cook them longer if you want them to be crispy.

But do it once the oven is off and watch them.
Serve warm...                                      .




The texture was indescribable. Mama and I sat trying to figure out what the texture was similar to. We tried to figure it out till there was only two left...

  Popover Heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment