Wednesday

Potato and Leek Soup



I love soup and when Winter gets close I am a Pressure Canning Fool. This soup is special as you know we can not Pressure Can Soup with any dairy so I took it out but added some flavor by replacing it with bacon and garlic. This is Heavenly !






This recipe will make approximately 6 half pints. I do make larger quantities to be able to Pressure Can and have through out the season. Here is a link to my Canning Site.
 
 Potato Leek Soup

5 strips of bacon chopped
4 whole garlic cloves chopped
12 large russet potatoes
6 large leeks sliced into thin rings
12 cups of chicken stock



Chop you bacon into small bite size pieces and fry them in the stock pot. This is going to give you a nice caramel-y greasy coat on the bottom of your pot.









When the bacon is half cooked add you chopped garlic and turn it down to low. You want to just brown the garlic and crispy the bacon.







 


While this is cooking cleaning your leeks they hide a lot of dirt in the crevices. Peel back the first and second layer of skin you will see it.




Now chop the leeks into rings.












Now add the sliced leeks to the bacon bit and brown everything up slightly.
Doing this makes my soups have a hearty and roasted taste with out added seasoning's.









Now let us talk potato you can peel or no peel. I peeled this lot of potatoes because I made Potato skin chips for a New Year's eve party. When you are peeling and chopping the potatoes keep them in a bowl of cool water this will prevent them from turning brown.





Pour your chicken stock into-the pot and add the chopped potatoes. Let everything simmer on medium for about an hour. Check on the pot about every 15 minutes stir things up.








Once the hour is up take a tool and mush your potatoes. I always leave a few chunks in my soup I love the feel of food.
.




This Potato and Leek Soup is so delicious and with no dairy it can be pressure canned.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment