Wednesday

Frittata with Broccoli and Cheese

Frittata is an Italian dish did you know that? Making a frittata is so simple and can be as plain or creative as you like. I always like to find out what a food is prior to cooking it. I did not get all brainyyack on it just general information. Original recipes cook the eggs prior to baking and then add the ingredients and finish it off in the oven. I mix all the ingredients together and bake it in the oven till done. 



 Unlike a Quiche a Frittata has no crust.

Ingredients

4 cups chopped steamed broccoli
3 scallion onion chopped
1 finely chopped garlic clove
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup milk
8 eggs
salt and pepper to taste


Steam your broccoli. Steam it to the texture you like I am a crunch head so I like mine a bit firm and knowing it will cook more in the oven it is steamed just so slightly. I then pan fry the broccoli and onion to just brown. Once cooked set aside you want it to cool slightly never add hot ingredients to raw eggs it will cook them. Pop it in the refrigerator while you mix the other ingredients.


Alright while that cools let's get our wet ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl add your eggs, milk, water and seasoning. Whisk them together until well mixed. Now add you broccoli and onion and cheese. 





Once this is all mixed up pour it into your pan. Spray or grease your pan. You can use a round cake pan. An oven safe skillet or what I like to use my iron skillet. I use an iron skillet for many of my recipes. The iron skillet gets super hot and the heat cooks evenly all the way around. Just be careful taking it out of the oven. 

Cook this in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Increase the temperature to 400 for the next 15 minutes to brown the top and when a fork comes out clean it is done. Remove from the oven and let it cool down for about 20 minutes and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment