Sunday

Pot Roast

Pot Roast was the go to meal my Mama cooked on Sunday nights back in the day. This meal seems to always remind me of my mama. When we were young money was scarce and my mom would turn the cheapest meat into a meal for 7. 
Look at her now livin the life at my home looking at pictures of when she use to cook. Lucky Lady! But then lucky me to have her and her cooking memories

Ingredients

1 - 5 pound chuck or rump roast (it will shrink so when you buy it think shrink)
1 + tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves chopped
Enough beef stock to just cover the ingredients. I used about 8 cups
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 large onion chopped
30 little potatoes cut in half (We are potato heads)
4 to 6 carrots cut into 2 inch pieces


Optional stuff - These are thing I have found added to pot roast I think everyone has there own taste and idea's but keep them in mind. Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar, stewed tomato or tomato paste, red wine and the list goes on and I do not want to confuse you.
Pre-heat your oven to 350 to 375 degrees



Wash you roast and dry it completely.
Take a large pot. I used my cast iron dutch oven.

Put about a tablespoon of oil into the pot.
Season your pot roast completely with kosher salt and black pepper on all side. Heat up the pot you want to hear a sizzle when you drop the roast in. The little speckles you see on my roast are garlic granules. Nothing irritates me more than seeing an ingredients in a picture but not on the list.

 Brown your roast on all sides now set the roast aside on a plate for a few minutes and let us do the garlic and onions.



 For your onions it is good to have a roasted taste to the onions, so brown them in the same pot adding the garlic when the onions have browned. You use the same pot for everything do not rinse or wash between stuff. Ok once the onions and garlic are done place your roast back in the pot. Do not let all the onions and garlic stick on the bottom turn the roast and make sure the onions and garlic are all over the place.



 Now add your seasoning's half the parsley and broth until it just covers the roast. Put your roast into a 350 degree oven for at least 3 to 4 hours. When it has been in the oven for 2 hours and the roast is fork tender you can now add the potatoes and carrot for the last hour. Once everything is cooked place it into a platter garnish with the remaining parsley and serve. Oh yeah pour some of the ahhh juice on top and put the extra on the side.I always have a loaf of homemade bread to cut and soak up the juice on my plate.


 I use small potatoes from the garden you can slice them right in half no peeling and be done. But then who peels potatoes that is the best part! xoxo



I chop the carrot's so they are a little larger than bite size because I do not want them to fall apart and I love a little bit of firm in vegetable when cooking. I do not buy the little easy chemically cleaned carrot I think they are a conspiracy. Why?  To make people continue to be lazy and Ms. Independence showed me that to peel and cut your own they are so full of flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment