Monday

911 on Eggs

I am currently reading a book called the Omnivore Dilemma by Michale Pollen it is GOOD reading. But this is not a post on book promotion.We are so caught up with the word organic I do not think anyone really takes the  time to know what it mean in the big market description. This is why buy local buy from someone you know if you are going to shout out I am organic. Knowledge is power in this fast food tricky label food world. Visit the farm and check the details. DO NOT trust any label. Once you hit the market even Whole Foods it is a devil’s trap.

I know we have to get somethings from the market and I understand. Look I thought with one of my bright idea after researching plastic I would stop using it. Impossible to not have plastic some where the worlds is made with it. Ok ranting back to egg’s . Let’s talk egg then at the end of the talk I will give you some interesting link’s. And by no means am I an organic, dirt pushing 58 year old hippie. I am just trying to get back to some overall basic’s.

I buy egg’s from the store and fresh from the farmers market. I am also lucky enough to get egg’s from neighbor when they have some or I barter some of my kick ass bread or jams . Store bought are in the refrigerator and farmers on the counter.


Why you ask.


Did you know that in Europe and other countries they let there fresh eggs sit on the kitchen counter until they are used. We seem to be the only country to rework the egg’s enough to need them in the refrigerator. Everyone has there own opinion and most of the time you are right in your own right. But fresh from the hen eggs do not need to be refrigerated. here is a link that has a lot of opinion’s on it.




The so called organic egg’s from the store well if they are organic and farm fresh why am I refrigerating them. Do you really think a bunch of workers sit on the grass field waiting for the little chicken to go back into the cute hen barn to lay eggs then they collect them and off to the market they go. No The organic egg’s do have a grassy area but by the time they are old enough to even venture out they are to scared or do not want to leave the food and water source to wander out side the massive.

Free Range Jail.

Here is a blog I love love love on chicken and all things chick cute.
And here is a link to a great way to use your egg shells.
Here is a site  that let’s you know the real story of organic eggs from corporate”Organic” egg farms. Again know you source! Here is a great site with lot’s of definitions.Oh here is the 911 on government rules on organic. And here is the recipe that got me started on this egg rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment