Monday

Sweet and Tangy Cabbage Slaw

Well my friends I went out into my garden getting ready to pick my cauliflower and so I do. I head over to the compost pile to remove all the leaves and clean it up prior to getting it on to the kitchen counter.

So off comes a few layers of leaves and more and more and then it dawns on me this is cabbage dumb dumb. This let's you know that I am not the sharpest blade in the garden.





I was laughing so hard I forgot what the hell I was doing. So off to the kitchen I waddled. Thinking how beautiful my cauliflower cabbage is. I am going to make a zesty little slaw. I prefer my slaw with no creamy dressing. Personal preference. Note to self label garden !





This recipe will serve about 12 people. Had I known how great it was I would have made more. It was gone in a flash. It is nice to roast your peanuts prior to adding them. Just put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or aluminum and put in an oven set at 350 degrees cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them every oven is different.I would do this prior to any other stuff.

 Let us start with the Dressing:

1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/3 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red peppers



In a small saucepan on the stove top over medium heat combine all the ingredients Except the olive oil. Stir and keep on medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the olive oil. Let the mixture cool down. I pop it into the refrigerator for a few minutes.


While that is getting a bit of a chill let's create the Slaw:



1 head of red cabbage - chopped
1 head of green cabbage - chopped
4 to 6 scallion onions sliced
6 to 8 sliced cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup of raw peanuts - roasted
(I used pine nuts)









Combine the chopped ingredients pour the dressing over your slaw and stir. I let mine sit overnight. It gathers all the taste. It is nice if you can let it sit for at least one hour or so.







How delicious does this one look!

No comments:

Post a Comment