Monday

Tamale Pie


Tamale Pie so good and this one was adapted from my vast collection of vintage cookbooks. It is called Cook It Right and it as published in 1947 written by Adelle Davis. I love spice it is one of my favorite flavors and additives. I need to be super careful when I preserve of cook and keep in mind not all my friends and guest like the spicy
 I am going to copy the directions and ingredients right out of the book so read it first and then go cook my friend. It may seems strange but like I say read it through first.



Brown thoroughly in bacon drippings to develop a pronounced meat flavor:
4 tablespoons ground lean beef
Add and saute' lightly
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper, preferably fresh
chili pepper






Add:
1 cup canned or diced fresh tomatoes
8 ot 10 ripe olives (optional)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
pinch of oregano and basil
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin seed (optional)







Simmer 10 minutes, remove from heat and stir in
1/2 pound of gorund beef, preferably heart (wow)
1 cup fresh, frozen or canned corn (optional)

Set the filling aside. 

 












Prepare corn meal mush by mixing together thoroughly


1 cup of yellow corn meal
1/2 cup of powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt




 
Add and Mix

1 cup of cold milk





Stir constantly while adding corn meal mixture to:
2 cups of simmering milk









Stir mixture until mixture thickens or about 5 minutes, being careful to use low heat after thickening starts.









Immediately pour half the mush into a flat oiled baking dish, spreading it evenly.

















Add and spread the filling and cover with remaining mush.




















Sprinkle generously with paprika.
Bake under a moderate oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.





Brown the top lightly under the broiler. This turned out so delicious that it made me want to crack open some of my other back in the day cook book.

Well with that thought I am going to try to get a vintage recipe here each day till I get tired.

Fat chance

No comments:

Post a Comment