Saturday

Spatchcock and BBQ your Chicken




Let us start off this blog post with the first thing every cook should know how to do Spatchcock a Chicken. First off what a funny word and so hard for this cook to remember. 







I am giving you a link to a YouTube video that shows you how to do it. I will make my own because the one thing that tans my hide is that most cooks on YouTube do not wear gloves. Good way to spread the germs. There are nooks and cranies on those fingers!


Spatchcocking a chicken is opening it up to get a more even cook on all sides of your whole chicken. See the picture right there it is all done. Now we can prepare it for the BBQ. We have a double BBQ I love grilling on coals and Pa loves the gas BBQ. 






One 3 pound whole chicken and a good rub or homemade my recipe is just below.



A rub for your chicken. Making a rub is great and keep in mind this is to rub over a whole chicken every little crevice needs flavor. Feel free to add any spice you want to make this rub more personally yours.



I prefer to make my own. 

  • 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
  • 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
  • 1 tablespoon Ground Oregano

First thing get your BBQ ready. I do smokin" when BBQing.  I prepare my wood chips by soaking them in water for about 20 minutes prior to getting the bird on the BBQ. 






Now that your have you rub ready take your chicken and put it on the plate, platter or cutting board. I do make a few different rubs click the link to research. 



Alrighty now rub the heck out of that chicken missing no spots. Lift those wings and legs get io the crevasses.





Get your charcoals ready. 
Add you smoker box and place the rack above the charcoals. 




If Using Charcoal BBQ using direct heat place the chicken on the BBQ giving it 5 minutes per side to get a slight char to seal the flavor in. Once you get the crispy look on the chicken you can place your chicken breast side up on the grills non direct and close the BBQ. Let it cook for at least 45 minute's check it regularly it will read 165 degrees when it is ready.



If Using a regular gas BBQ start with medium heat.  Get a nice crispy outside on both sides of the chicken. This seals in the flavor and will give you a tender moist chicken. About 5 minutes per side more or less. Get that crispy skin then turn it to low for the remainder of the 45 minute's until you reach an internal temperature of 165. If possible do not direct heat the bird.


Notice I have the same cutting board I seasoned my chicken on. Once the chicken is in position I will take the cutting board back in to scrub it clean. Easy! 



Once again once you get the crispy look on the chicken you can place your chicken breast side up on the grills non direct and close the BBQ. Let it cook for at least 45 minutes check it regularly it will read 165 degrees when it is ready.   (Repeat I know)



The beauty of making the chicken this way is the easy of the work involved. I think the most work is getting the BBQ ready. 

Knowing how to spatchcock a whole chicken is important for BBQ as well as oven cooking a whole chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment