Monday

Rye Bread


All my breads are started with my Mother Starter. I got it from a friend about a year ago. With this starter I can make bread for a lifetime. It is something that every cook should have "A Sour Dough Starter" and it is a breeze to keep. Once you have a good starter you need only keep it refrigerated and every time you use it you will feed it. I have my San Francisco Sourdough recipe is here it took time to perfect it.

 Here is Rye Bread for now

 

Rye Bread

 

1 cup sourdough starter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups rye flour 1 1/4 cups warm water.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, plus 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds








Combine starter, rye flour, and one cup of the water in a large bowl. Stir to blend. I like an extra-sour flavor (like my sourdough) I cover mixture with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place over night or 6-12 hours until bubbly and sour, even boozy, smelling.




I start my dough right before I go to bed so that the next day I have fresh bread for dinner. After the mixture has rested 6-12 hours start by Combining

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups of the all-purpose flour
salt, sugar, and caraway seeds

I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer on low speed until dough comes together.






Knead 9-10 minutes in Kitchen Aid stand mixer on speed #2 until dough is smooth and springy * add more all-purpose flour, a tablespoon at a time during the kneading process as needed to reduce excess stickiness (this particular dough will remain somewhat sticky)










Place in a large bowl cover and let rise about 1 - 1 1/2 hours in a warm place until doubled. Punch down dough and knead a few strokes to release air.







Shape into a round loaf and place on a greased baking sheet.
Cover loaf lightly and allow to rise about 1 hour until almost doubled.


Once your loaf has doubled spritz it with water and put in a 400 degree oven. Cook for 15 minutes then turn the oven down to 375 and spritz once more with water. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until top is crisp.


The water makes the crust crunchy. If you want a lighter crust not so crunchy do not spray it.






This is delicious rye bread.  Crusty crunch from the outside with Ryelicious inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment