Wednesday

Pulled Pork

Pulled Pork this is so wonderful and I did this batch in a Crock Pot,  Halla!


You can do your Pulled Pork in a dutch oven also regardless of the pot just keep it covered and slow cook your Pork!

I always make a loaf of bread to go with this!








I had this little pork butt in the frig a couple of days. I wanted to make pulled pork sandwiches for dinner. I would like to have them for tomorrow nights dinner and know I want to slow cook for a day or two.


 

I know this may seem like a long time but I want tender pull a part meat.  I read my Pulled Chicken recipe and tweaked it a bit for the pork. I want more spice and more BBQ-ish flavor.

Most recipes call out for boneless pork but I like the extra fatty taste and flavor you get from bone in. Knowing we were going to pull the pork off the bone, shred it and then put it back in the sauce so it made sense.  I almost always chop my onions and garlic when making sandwich to make them bite size rather than having a long dangling onion slap your chin.

Pulled Pork Ingredients

1 - 3-4 pound bone in/out pork butt
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves chopped

Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup dejon mustard
1/4 cup of molasses
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 table spoons of your favorite hot sauce




* Here is a recipe for BBQ Sauce you can make and preserve for later uses.

Dry Rub

1 tsp cumin
1  tablespoon paprika
1 tsp garlic powder (we are garlic people so this is added extra)
1 tsp dry mustard
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Prep




 Chop your onion and garlic and place it in the bottom of your crock pot/dutch oven.







Rinse and pat dry your butt spread it with your seasonings all the way around.





Place the butt on top of the garlic and onions and cover with your sauce.



Turn your crock pot on for 8 hours on medium (I only have high or low old school I have had my crock pot since 1982) After the 8 hours depending on your crock. Remove the bone and any extra fat.





Now it is time to shred your butt. Once you shred the pork let it simmer in the sauces for another hour on low. Taste the pork and the sauce and add any ingredients you may desire. It is always nice to add a little of your own touches and tastes to a meal.




You can make this Pulled Pork in the crock pot or in an iron kettle or dutch oven or in your oven. Adjust the time. For a Iron Kettle I would cook it for at least 4 to 5 hours or until the pork is fork tender in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment