Monday

Pumpkin Pie 2023


This recipe was done originally in 2014. Well it is 2023 and I am updating this classic. Once I started to bake fresh I never went back to store bought.
 
Fresh baked is crazy good. So grab a pumpkin throw it on a cookie sheet and call it pie! But first here are a few of my changes. I now cut the top off the pumpkin and scrape all the stuff out. I use to just cook the whole thing just as shown to the left. 



Now in 2023 although it is a bit more work it is worth it. I scrape out the pumpkin stuff and save the seeds for the oven to toast up for the kids. Well actually for the grandkids. Once this is done cut the pumpkin up to cook. Any way you wish. I just leave it whole and cook at 375 for approximately 45 minutes until for tender in side. 

A standard pumpkin should cook up to 3 cups of pumpkin puree. I cook much more to have during the year for more pies or to give to the chickens. 

Here is what you need to make the pie along with your pumpkin. 

Ingredients

1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp of ground cloves
1 tsp of ground all spice
½ tsp pf ground ginger
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
4 eggs
3 cups of fresh pumpkin

Now a pumpkin is a pumpkin is a pumpkin right?  NO it is not ! There are two types the pie pumpkins and the jack o lantern I grow my own so a jack oh lantern it is. There are also many ways to cook your pumpkin.  My way well easy just wash it put the whole thing on a tray and cook the little guy in the oven at 425 for 45 minutes to an hour and a half till he is fork tender.


Set it aside to cool. Then you can cut him into pieces.


Scrape out the seeds for the kids and hubby you can salt them and roast them in a 350 degree oven till lightly brown and let them cool. Truly a treat the folks in the house will want them every year. I know!

Get rid of the hairy stuff on the seeds.




Once the pumpkin is cooled and you have scraped the inner out, (not the seeds) place the scraping  into your food processor if you don’t have one use your blender or anything that will make a mash that is satisfying texture to you.

Add all your spices and the eggs. You can always add a pinch of cream to thicken it up if you want to. I do but I’m partial to cream in many recipes.








Did you buy a pie crust or make it from scratch.
I made my first one from scratch.
Here is the link bake your own pie crust


Or just buy a pie crust either way it works !





Ok pour your pumpkin mush in the pie crust and cook in the oven for 45 minutes till a fork comes out clean and it looks done not hard to judge this one. Look at my pictures mine was looking pretty good and tasted even better.

Enjoy this was so much easier than I thought it would be










 Looks pretty good for a first try I would say!









Did you clean your seeds and bake them in the oven at 325 for about 15 minutes salt them up and enjoy them.....my kids loved this when they were little now I mail them to the Island of Oakland for Chris to enjoy...he is my seed eater... God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment