Wednesday

Manhattan Fish Chowder



This had to be one of the best Red Manhattan Chowder I have done in quite a while. Ok ok I never did it before. SO there. I found a few sites with recipes and gathered from them all. But the best site I found and simple because I love simple (Of course because it is by a fisherman) it came from their website Regular Guy Charters. It went so well with the Fresh Baked Bread.

 

 

 

Ingredients

3 strips of bacon fried keep the dripping
1 white onion chopped
3 chopped carrot
3 garlic cloves  finely chopped
¼ cup tomato paste
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
4 to 6 small red potatoes chopped
1 cups of water
3 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp fresh parsley

Any ingredient you do not have fresh use canned, dried or what ever is available. I use fresh because in the last year I have learned to make my own and store it for later. You can do it !

1 tsp salt
½ tsp grnd pepper
1 tbs Old Bay Seasoning  -optional
1 bay leaf
2 fresh chopped Roma tomatoes
2 lbs firm white fish. I used Cod
A dozen or so fresh large shrimp peeled and cleaned
Garnish ideas for the side
Parmesan cheese
Tabasco sauce
Red crushed pepper
Parsley


Fry your bacon in the stock pot you will be making your soup in. Once the bacon is done remove the bacon let it cool and chop it up and return it to the stock pot . Add your onions and carrot and saute for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic for the last 2 minutes you do not want it to brown or burn. Euu.




Add the tomato paste, Roma tomato's, lemon stir until it is mixed well then add your water and broth.



Seafood Gumbo


Stir until everything is mixed and simmering then add your potatoes. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the potato is fork tender. If you need more liquid then go ahead and add more. Now add your white fish and shrimp and cook for about 10 minutes until the fish is flaky. Add your seasoning to taste.

Take out the bay leaf prior to serving.

Shrimp has the habit of getting rubbery when it is cooked to long. Personally I do not like it BUT my mama and pa said keep it in because it adds to the taste of the soup. So make that yet another personal choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment