Friday

Scalloped Potatoes

Scallop Potato's one of my favorite side dishes. I do make big batches but there never seems to be any left. The taste of the fresh potato's and natural ingredients makes all the difference.

My Granny use to make this recipe and I wondered how can she put evaporated milk in that recipe? Well did it matter when I ate almost the whole thing! 


Ingredients
  • 6-8 potatoes (sliced thin)
  • 1/2 onion (diced) Any onion will do
  • 1 can evaporated milk + 1 can of water
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour
  • Parsley and/or dill weed
  • 1 stick butter

Preparation





Layer sliced potatoes, 4-5 pats of butter, and onions, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste, in 9x11 casserole dish. Repeat layering until all potatoes are used.

I use a mandolin to slice this way they are perfect. 




I do not peel my potatoes. I do not even peel them for mashed potatoes they are full of so many great vitamins. The skin has more nutrition and fiber then the inside of the potato. Who would have thought. 



Heat evaporated milk and 1 can of water together in in a small sauce pan. Yes, that is Hungarian Paprika I added just a bit love the flavor it gives the potato. Personal choice. Warm the mixture until mixed.









Sprinkle 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour on top of layered potatoes.



 
I sift the flour on the potatoes to avoid lumps






Pour the liquid over your potatoes and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.






Once your potato's are done you have the option to add cheese to the top and return them to the oven for an additional 15 minute's to melt the cheese. 






This recipe is very Old School and will not look like the boxed brand but they are delicious. Enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment