Thursday

Oven baked Baby Back Ribs

Let us talk Fall off the Bone! I have always gone to the BBQ to make my ribs Wait my Hubby has I just stood by watching thinking this was the only real way to do ribs. Nope. After much research I found out the oven works just fine. You could even throw the Oven Cooked Ribs on to the BBQ for the last few minutes to crisp them up. 



But since you already have the oven on just crank it up to broil to High and give them a few extra minutes. Keep an eye on them.

This recipe is for Baby Back Ribs. You can use Beef Ribs to just cook a bit longer say one hour. I use homemade rubs for all my cooking. I buy my seasoning at Oaktown Spice Shop.

I know it is far but the quality and variety is amazing. I do not just go to the store and buy spices willy nilly. I plan them and get only get what I need or grind my own from garden grown herbs.So for these ribs I used the following ingredients for the rub. Here is a link to 3 Rubs I make for BBQ chicken. But below is what I used for the Ribs

Rub Ingredients

  • Roasted Garlic 
  • Grand Lake Shake
  • St. Basil BBQ chop Rib Rub
  • Citrus Pepper
  • Smoked Paprika 

Ribs One Rack of Baby Back Ribs

Set your oven for 270 degrees


The amount of rub is based upon the amount of ribs. I just eyeball it. Equal parts of my favorites followed by don't forget this one. Get creative people. 

Wash your ribs. The membrane. This is a tricky subject. Personally I do not care if it is left on. It just makes them a bit more chewy.  Most ribs come with it already off. But my butcher is fresh and all the work but cutting is done at home by me. It is easy to take off flip your ribs over bone side up. Take a small sharp knife and slip it under the skin of the bone. If the membrane is still on it will come off easy. Just use a paper towel grab it and tear in one direction. 

Put your ribs on a aluminum (enough to make an envelope to cover them when cooking) cover baking sheet or any cooking pan with a rim. Put your rub on I start with the bone side first this way the rub I put on the top is going to stay there when they are cooked.  Yum. 

I just sprinkle and spread. 


I use gloves with everything I do in the kitchen. It is sanitary and helps not to have to be washing your hands every step. 


Once your ribs are covered with your wonderful rub. Cover them by making an envelope around them.

This way they actually are havng a steam bath and all that flavor stays in for the ribs to soak up. Don't worry about extra rub dropping around the ribs it won't burn. 



Pop your baking sheet 
into the oven and cook for 2 hours. Once they are done take them out let them cool for a few minutes or at least be careful they are going to throw off steam when you open the pouch. Open the envelope and pour some BBQ and pop it back in the oven/ Broil mode Hi to crisp the tops. Optional.



They are drop off the bone delicious. This really makes me rethink the BBQ being it takes so long and you need to watch them every minute. Shhhh we will still let the men think BBQ is the way to go!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment