Monday

Old School Buttermilk Pie

Buttermilk Pie well you know I had to defrost some buttermilk for some cookies I was making.


This Buttermilk Pie for my Pa was worth the time. Wait it took no time really gee ! I always have buttermilk in the freezer because I always have more that I need when baking. So out came the buttermilk and in goes the Buttermilk Pie. The funny thing is that no one but my Mama ever heard or had it. 




Strange how some of  the food's our parents-parent's made are either dying or forgotten. 
Well this Buttermilk Pie has been revived by this family for generations to come. Let's start by making the crust


Ingredients for the crust

1 packet of graham crackers from a box (It usually has 9)
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup of butter room temperature or melted

In a food processor grind up the graham crackers until reduced to crumbs. Add the sugar and pulse until combined. Pour in vanilla and melted butter and process until crumbs are all moist.





Press firmly and evenly into a 9" pie pan. Make sure you push it up the side till it is a safe distance from the top of the pan. Look at my pictures and notice that the crust shrunk after it baked. You can bake the crust at this point (or not) in a 375 degree oven until edges are brown. Then set aside to cool.



* Crust changes I made. I used brown sugar it make a more flavorful crust and give the edges a little crunch. Break up your graham crackers prior to running them in the food processor other wise you get to many big chunks. I left the pieces of graham cracker that did not break up. Some of them were about say little nugget size and they floated into the pie, so good!. Also I did not bake it prior to filling it and it turned out great. Actually I forgot to bake it because I was so excited and lucky me it was ok. And last but not least once the crumbs were crushed in the food processor I turned them out into a bowl added the ingredents for the crust and  mixed the crumbs by hand. I like to feel that the cracker crumbs is completely saturated and I do not like my crust to be pulverized by the food processor. I am a texture girl.

I had to show you my home made vanilla extract .Try making some it is a no brainer so easy. Actually it makes itself.

Ingredient for Buttermilk Pie - Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt - sift this and the nutmeg in with the flour prior to adding to mixture
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter (softened)
1 /12 cups of buttermilk

In your mixing bowl combine brown sugar and flour mixture until combined. Add eggs one at a time until mixed. Add vanilla, butter and buttermilk and mix until smooth.


Pour your buttermilk mixture into the prepared graham cracker crust it should fill about a 1/2 inch or so from the top of the crust. Put your pie into a preheated oven 350 degrees and cook for 30 to 40 minutes until the pie is set. It is not the same as cream cheese it should not giggle. It will be light brown on the top. Cool and serve warm or cold.






No comments:

Post a Comment