Monday

Sweet and Tangy Cabbage Slaw

So I am out in my garden. I am getting ready to pick my cauliflower and so I do. I head over to the compost bin and start to peel it so I can get it clean to take it in the house. 

So I am peeling and peeling and peeling and it dawns on me this is not cauliflower it is cabbage. I was laughing so hard at myself which I do a lot of.  I took my cabbage into the kitchen and made this little salad. Boy my garden needs to have some veggie labels. This recipe is for about 12 servings. If I knew it was going to be this delicious I would have made more it was gone in a heartbeat.


1  head of red cabbage chopped
1 head of green cabbage (note mine is from my garden which is the inspiration for the salad) chopped
4 to 6 scallion onions sliced
1/2 cup raw peanuts crushed
1/2 cup of Apple Cider vinegar
1/3 cup of sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon red crushed pepper 
3 tablespoons of olive oil


The only picture I have ! 


Chop your cabbage and onions I like chopped salad you can chop or shred your cabbage put this in a large bowl. In a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat combine vinegar, sugar, orange juice and red peppers stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in the olive oil. Let it cool down I pop it in the freezer for 5 minutes or so... Now pour it over the cabbage and refrigerate for 15 minutes or so so it can soak up the flavors..

This salad was delicious and crunchy. The tart and sweet was amazing. You can adjust your flavors to your own taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment