Monday

Bananas Bran Muffins

                                         

Banana and Bran what a great combo.

Bran Muffin are good for you but add a little potassium and Boom your healthy.








I know I do use sugar, butter and all thing's fat-ish but the taste I have not yet been won over by all our gluten free, fat free la-de-da. It works for some people I get it. But my mind and body always brings me back to my family and the original way they cooked. All my products are healthy store stuff and my flour is ground locally at Great Harvest in Newbury Park .When it comes to baking it is such an exact science but I am doing my best to put that to rest. There are somethings you can bake and do a bit of tweaking.

Not wanting to bore you but a few facts. I found this recipe and it noted that the bran must be soaked for a while to mush it up. The recipe called out to let the bran get soft by using an egg. I have fresh eggs from the neighbors that do not get refrigerated. I know most people do not get fresh but lucky me. Go read A bit about egg's when you have time. Also she uses regular milk for a lack or or not wanting to buy buttermilk. Hey did you know you can freeze the left over. Buttermilk freezes great BUT you can only reuse for baking once frozen.

Where was I ? Shoot let get baking!



The origional recipe  did not tell me how many eggs so I emailed the site but alas no response. But I figured it out. Good Job Baker Girl! Look push come to shove I made the recipe unique to my own taste and thought. Dangerous but great! They turned out delicious, look all I wanted to do originally was use some frozen banana's and buttermilk. .

 



Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of All Bran Cereal
1/3 cup of buttermilk
1/3 cup molasses
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 to 3 mashed bananas
2 large eggs room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup wheat flour
1 cup white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts. I used pecans but any nut works.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 and have a 12 cupcake tray ready with cupcake insert or  well greased and floured down. I like cupcake insert's it makes clean up and eating quick and easy. Plus it keep the bottom half if the muffin moist.



Step one is to measure your bran and put it into you mixing bowl. Add the molasses, buttermilk, vegetable oil. Mix this all together and let it sit until you add the rest of the ingredient to the mixing bowl. Cover and let it sit while you gather and sift the dry ingredients.






While this is softening up take a separate bowl and sift together your dry ingredients. NOT the brown sugar. Smash you bananas also in a separate plate or bowl. I use a plate to smash the bananas on with a potato smasher.






I like the consistency kind-a-thick yet cooks up mushish.


I sift my dry ingredients together to make sure there are not clumps of flour and the baking soda and powder get mixed into the flour. 



Add your bran mixture in to your mixer. Turn the mixer to low and add the smashed banana and let it come together. Slowly add one egg at a time making sure they are mixed in prior to adding the next one. Now slowly add your brown sugar once this is mixed well on low you can start to add the dry ingredient.








This batter is thick but do not let this worry you. Fill the holder's about 3/4 full they puff up nicely. 

Bake your muffin on 350 for approximately 20 to 30 minutes checking them with a toothpick after 20 minutes. Every oven is different!



You will enjoy these and so will the kid's.

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment